Hex 05-2312, Town of Byrny

Share with the community your Cartography methods, skills, and maps!

Hex 05-2312, Town of Byrny

Postby Balarnega » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:32 pm

In honor of the launch of the new Judges Guild Forums, I present you with the map for Hex 05-2312, the Town of Byrny, as featured in the Mines of Custalcon.

Enjoy!

Click here to go to the map.
James Mishler
President, James Mishler Games
jamesmishlergames.blogspot.com
adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
Balarnega

Re: Hex 05-2312, Town of Byrny

Postby Bill Owen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:50 pm

I embiggened! Really nice map James! I'm stunned to see what you have done with the place.

It's hard for whippersnappers (unversed in ancient drafting & printing technology) now to understand how much work it was to manually draw or cut patterns for a one-color job and the excessive expense to add half-tone screen for the grid/coordinates. Never mind adding a second color let alone four. And this effort makes the sweeping extent of the Wilderlands map series all the more remarkable.

And then digital so it is very telling about how even 21st century pre-layer technology of Illustrator could embolden me to suggest to Bob that we could tag-team re-draw the entire Wilderlands world in one weekend of non-stop effort (and sure I may have been crazy but that sort of insanity is how things get started. Getting started one is half done. I can now see how incredibly cool Campaign Cartographer is for efficiently realizing complex, color projects.

When we first played D&D Wilderness as players in 1974 (Bob had a secret judge's map of the Wilderness around Mirkwood and the Lonely Mountain) it was with a blank grid and we had to fill in the hexes with the terrain features. Bob's approach was that if a given PC pacified a 5 mile hex then he could draw it up and flesh out the bits of info that he had given about a village there and not much more. Then add it to his contiguous barony. As our coffers of gold burgeoned, we'd submit urban renewal projects that Bob would report back that they would have as mixed a success as the Norman castles in Wales or current USA practice (!) adding potential for new adventures as we'd have to ride off the try to straighten out a kerfuffle or worse.

Our Wilderlands approach was to give very broad outlines (mostly coastlines) with most of the detail blanked out.The assumption was that players would want to explore and discover the details for themselves. And indeed the individual judges would add and deduct significant features expanding the Wilderlands far beyond the launch pad we lit the fuse for.

When I judged a campaign post JG, I certainly used some of our materials (including some unpublished items) but started with a much smaller area and the players took this a different direction than we did with Bob's campaign. Which was our prime directive: the players' unforced actions direct the flow.

So do you have players start with a blank 25-hex deep page then explore and discover all the detail of this hex one at a time or within line of sight (LOS) where feasible? And when LOS, wouldn't you to call out adjacent (or further) hex numbers as swamp or woods etc.? Which they pencil in, right?

The reason I ask this is that there is a fundamentally different approach to having them move through a fully detailed map that hey can see with their eyes, versus wander "blindly" into blank squares that must be described and thus "seen" only in their imaginations, right? The former is similar to the flaw of the 5000' general with bird's eye view and the latter relies on the shared vagaries of players' imaginations that somehow become a whole greater than the sum of the parts.
Bob's Buddy
Bill Owen

Postby Thunderhold » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:02 am

Nice map, what program do you use for you mapping. I know some people use CC3 and there are a few others out there.
Thunderhold

Postby Balarnega » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:15 am

Hexographer, available here:

www.hexographer.com

It's an awesome program. I've used it for everything from continental-scale maps down to this Byrny map and everything in between.
James Mishler
President, James Mishler Games
jamesmishlergames.blogspot.com
adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
Balarnega

Postby Baron » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:00 am

Nice map. I bought the 3-program package, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I got the impression that it made random maps within certain parameters. Guess I should look for some tutorials or something.
Baron

Postby Greyhawk Grognard » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:35 am

I figured it was Hexographer as soon as I saw it. Can't recommend that program highly enough. Simple to use, very flexible, and not a bank-breaker.
Greyhawk Grognard

Return to Maps and Cartography